Thursday 26 January 2012

Is it just me?

Ever had one of those days (weeks) when you feel like you are banging your head against a wall? Not even one of those nice padded walls I'm used to!

I've spent hours this week sending emails to local businesses, tourist attractions and watering holes to offer them free images - and even a free photo shoot - in exchange for a link from their web sites or even just a credit under any photographs they use. Something for nothing, you'd imagine someone would be interested wouldn't you?



Well someone was... I had two vicars and a pub say they would like to use the images. Oh, and a rather lovely tourist attraction say they needed some shots taken now they've refurbished (that blog will be along soon) but apart from that I didn't even get a polite 'thanks, but no thanks' reply!

You'd imagine some of the bigger places would maybe be busy, but too busy to scribble off a one line email telling me to get lost? And the smaller one man bands? I always thought the attraction of small independent traders was the personal touch and good customer service! Well not in this area lol.

I had hoped for a few reciprocal links, especially now the web site is receiving plenty of hits. I wasn't after a free lunch, I just wanted to offer something back to the local community. Apparently there is no local community in the Forest of Dean. Everyone is out for themselves in these hard times, but surely it's exactly because times are hard that we should all pull together to help out the little man?



Maybe I'm being harsh? Maybe I just targeted the wrong audience? Well here's my offer... if you are a trader or attraction within the forest, and you want some free professional photographs to use in your promotion or web site drop me an email. I make no guarantees but perhaps we can help each other in some way.

So let's stop moaning about the economy. Let's get a grip and lets start working together as local businesses and help each other out.

No comments:

Post a Comment